Pages

Wednesday, May 18, 2011

MIA - also called LIFE IS BUSY!

It is hard to believe that is has been a little over seven weeks since my last post. Life is so busy this time of year and it is hard to get everything accomplished. I have written several posts (in my head) while working in the garden but that doesn't help if I don't find time to type and post to my blog. Soon school will be finished for the year and, hopefully, I can post on a regular basis. Granny @ Annie's Kitchen Garden tells me that I need to MULTI MULTI MULTI task. I am trying but I think my "tasker" is overloaded and/or confused!

My daughter has described the weather here in Mississippi as bipolar. We have had periods of way above normal temperatures only to see it drop to setting record low HIGH temperatures a few days later. This extreme roller coaster of temperatures along with the excessive winds (with rounds of tornadoes) and rain has caused confusion and delays in my garden.I don't see a real harvest any time soon. Things are growing just not as fast as I would like. I do have blooms on some of my plants but I guess like all gardeners, I want HARVEST!

This year I have planted a variety of beans. I have planted Cherokee Trail of Tears, Christmas Beans, Soybeans, Scarlet Runner, Red Kidney Beans, and Blue Lake Snap Beans. I have Painted Lady beans that need to go in the ground soon... maybe this weekend or sooner. The bed is ready for them. It shouldn't take long to push a few beans in the ground.


Christmas Beans on trellis
(Peanuts in the front of the beans)


Red Kidney Beans on the left
Scarlet Runner Beans on right growing on trellis



Cherokee Trail of Tears on trellis
Soybeans (think edamame) in front of trellis 


Debbie

5 comments:

  1. Considering what you've gone through, I think your garden is looking pretty good! It's ahead of mine, which it should be. Mine, other than the brassicas and lettuce, is way behind. My raspberries are more than a month behind! It has been a very odd spring, of record breaking temperatures and high winds. I imagine any plant that has survived it must be extremely hardy and healthy!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Seems the weather has been terrible all over, just thank God your not flooded out
    and soon you will be able to plant.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Granny, I had hoped to start my peppers and tomatoes from seeds this year. Just didn't happen! I had to buy plants but I will be ready for next year!! I am thankful that I do have most of my garden planted.

    Gingerbreadshouse7, I am so thankful that we have not been effected by the tornadoes that the east side of Mississippi received and we are not holding our breath watching the waters rise like the west side of Mississippi. We camped in Natchez at Easter and visited Vicksburg on a field trip 2 weeks ago. It is hard to believe that water is covering places where we walked. My husband and I grew up in Louisiana near Baton Rouge and New Orleans. The flood water is overwhelming!

    ReplyDelete
  4. What great looking beans. Those are some interesting varieties.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Thanks, Lorie. I decided to expand my horizons and try several varieties that others have raved about in their garden blogs.

    ReplyDelete